A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. She combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. She tells the truth, keeps her word, helps those in need, and speaks out against injustice. A lawful good character hates to see the guilty go unpunished. Lawful good combines honor with compassion.
What does this mean to me?
There are 3 styles of Lawful-Good.
- Law Before Good: Like all Lawful Good characters, they face the dilemma of doing the good thing or doing the lawful thing, and they will almost always go for the lawful option. They obey the law, and they are essentially good people who will never, ever side with the forces of evil. When it comes to the crunch, they’ll topple the evil empire today and hope somebody else can save the civilians. They have a tendency to clash with Chaotic Good characters and have Good Is Not Nice attitudes to life.
- Good Before Law: The inverse of Law Before Good. They face the same dilemmas as that type, but they are much more likely to choose the good option when it comes down to it. They give and take lawful and good orders, and they’ll never side with the criminal. When it comes to the crunch, they’ll let the Big Bad get away today, as long as it ensures the safety of the civilians.
- Balance Seekers: They face the dilemma of To Be Lawful or Good often, and must consider the circumstances anew every time it comes up. How many civilians are there? What are the consequences of the Big Bad escaping? Can they find a happy balance? What kind of sacrifice must they make to do both? Is it better to do one or the other? When it comes to the crunch, the Big Bad may get away, but he’s lost The Dragon, who can lead us back to him; not every civilian was saved, but all the women and children made it.
Examples from media
- Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz (not afraid of busting a conspiracy wide open with all necessary (but not excessive) force)
- Robocopwhose sense of duty is exemplified by his prime directives: SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST, PROTECT THE INNOCENT, UPHOLD THE LAW.
- Captain America (First Movie)
LAWFUL STUPID WILL NOT BE TOLERATED